*Makes 6 burgers
- 2tsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onions
- 2Tbsp Canadian whisky
- 2Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2lb ground bison
- 1tsp powdered mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 thin slices aged white cheddar or maple cheddar
- 6 crusty rolls, such as ciabatta, or any hamburger buns
- Saskatoon Berry + Honey Mustard (Recipe at bottom of page)
How to make it
In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, whisky, and maple syrup. Cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and golden, about 7 to 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
In a mixing bowl, combine the onion mixture, bison, powdered mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and salt. Divide into 6 balls. Flatten into patties, each about 4 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour before cooking to help them firm up.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium for at least 15 minutes. Cook the burgers, in two batches, too 160 degrees Fahrenheit, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add the cheese during the last minute of cooking. Sandwich the burgers in the buns.
Top with Saskatoon berry + Honey mustard
Saskatoon Berry + Honey Mustard
*Makes about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup cranberry or grape juice
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 2Tbsp fresh or frozen Saskatoon berries or blueberries, or dried cranberries or blueberries
How to make it
In a small bowl, combine the juice and mustard seeds. Refrigerate overnight. Add the honey, rice wine vinegar, and berries. Stir well. If you want smooth mustard, transfer to a blender and puree. Refrigerate, covered, overnight to let thicken
That's it! Time to enjoy all of your hard work. If you enjoyed this recipe and want to find more recipes like these, then check out "Buffalo Girl Cooks Bison" by Jennifer Bain on amazon at: https://amzn.to/3Rd6SsD
Share your creations on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/northorizonfarmsinc) and it could be featured on our website!