- 4 thick slices double-smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 lb bison chuck (such as cross-rib or brisket), cut into 1 inch chucks and patted dry
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minched
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 1 bouquet garni (1 sprig fresh rosemary, 3 sprigs fresh thyme, and 2 bay leaves tied with kitchen twine)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (25.4 oz) bottle red burgundy or pinot noir
*Makes 6 to 8 servings
How to Make It
In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add the bison to the pot with the bacon fat in a single layer (or in batches if necessary). Sprinkle with flour. Cook until well browned all over, about 8 minutes. Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, mushrooms,and bouquet garni. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the wine and bacon.
Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium or medium-low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 3 to 4 hours.
That's it! Time to enjoy all of your hard work. If you enjoyed this recipe and want to find more recipes like these, then check out "Buffalo Girl Cooks Bison" by Jennifer Bain on amazon at: https://amzn.to/3Rd6SsD
Share your creations on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/northorizonfarmsinc) and it could be featured on our website!